Sotterley Cemetery and its Chapel were consecrated by The Bishop of Norwich in 1883. They were provided, at the instigation of the Barne family, to replace the burial facilities of the parish churchyard at St Margaret’s Church.
Built in the Gothic style, the octagonal Chapel’s local red brickwork, stone buttresses and tiled roof all needed renovation by the start of the new millennium. The chapel has been lovingly restored by the Sotterley Chapel Preservation Trust. This Trust was formed to ensure that the Chapel could continue to serve the parish for many years to come.
The cemetery is maintained for the parish council by the Trust as an area for wildlife and wildflowers as well as providing a place for tranquil repose.